How long should you be gluten free to know if it is helpful?
Two weeks was Libby's test. Only because Saturday she was absent mindfully given a cookie and then we decided to for go normal eating the rest of the weekend. Guess what? She again showed her moody monstrous side...and it wasn't in honor of halloween.
I decided to try the gluten free on her since I had heard that even if you don't have celiac disease some people have mental health, and or adverse affects from gluten. Gluten is a component to wheat, rye, and barley. Gluten free diets have been successful for ADHD and ASD persons.
Makes everyday U.S. diets hard to consume though, and there was some sacrifices, all that Libby was fine with. She didn't get any birthday cake or special treats a couple times in just those 2 weeks. She recognized the need to try this out though too, as even she does not like the way she feels when she is so easily distraught and tantruming. She was a good sport and at one point I think she was enjoying the special considerations. But the core fact was that her diet was changed drastically.
So for two weeks, we did not see the meltdowns. At her weakest moment she sat on the floor and cried- not about food, just some normal 7 year old concern. With gluten in her system, I am sure it would have escalated to an all out furry with not only her blood pressure maxing out.
Back on, today in her lunch she didn't get bread, but her turkey and cheese deli style...which she isn't crazy about ( I think the meat is too wet, so I wrapped it in a paper towel?) It will take some getting used to; however, I am sure that Libby feels better and has a better grip on her emotions when the gluten is not in her little body. So, for whatever reason it may be, we will minimize and or eliminate gluten from her. I am curious what everyone would be like on the gluten free. Not ready to make that commitment though, hard enough for just one. Maybe it would be easier if it was a household thing.
29 Weeks (Eden)
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
don't be shy! i love feedback!