Easter 2016

Easter 2016

Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween...the pagan holiday?

One of my favorite memories of a kid is going out trick or treating. I remember going to the school party and my dad dressing up as a punk with pink hair. That was so awesome! My favorite picture was when I was a gypsy- I had an awesome skirt and got a mascara beauty mark. We were churched, but my parents were not very skeptical of the halloween ordeal, and it was just a fun night that we enjoyed for many moons. Would it be fair to deprive my children of the fun?

Granted, it would be easier to just not do the holiday...anyone with a bunch of kids can relate in that it winds up being a lot of work!! Our first halloween with the kids I went all out. I sewed mickey shorts for David, he had a great outfit- getting the coat hanger through my little skinny black tail was tricky and it didn't even stay up!!

I bought a cheap sweat suit and dyed it yellow, then taped odd rectangulars and brush painted brown for Adam's giraffe costume. I sewed a yellow towel for a hat with yellow and browns fleece strips on it for the mane. He won the costume party off that one. And another year with his last minute pirate costume too.

This year? Not really feeling it... haven't really taken out our stuff. The boys have met the cut-off, so that is a relief to not have any expectations on their part. The girls have a few years of overpriced dance costumes that can be used for fairy or princess costumes, I am leaning twards that.

Noah doesn't remember, and I am sure he will be thrilled to find a couple choices in our costume bin. There is an excellent puppy costume that Grandma Cindy bought for us a few years ago. Libby loved that thing so much I remember her riding bike one summer in it- quite the scene as it is a really cozy coverall.

I do not think we will do the trick-or-treating this year, as there is a park event in Annandale, $10 a car (what a bargain in our 12 passenger!) They have some spooky events and I am sure that will be just fine for the kids. We do not dress up more than once...that is just too much work!

So, our rules are nothing gory or evil. There is such a magical fun with imagination that I do want my kids to celebrate with getting a special night to deck out in some fun attire and have fun being a kid. Does that take away from our faith? No, and we just pray that everyone have a safe halloween and enjoy the fun in dressing up or seeing others dressed up. And I am the punk now, but I might be the farmer for my dog, B-I-N-G-O...hmm where are some bibs?

Have a safe and happy weekend friends!

1 comment:

  1. I agree...we don't actually celebrate Halloween here at all. Partly for reasons of conviction, partly for reasons of it's just way too much work. ;) But we usually do buy some candy to enjoy--how can we pass up chocolatey treats?? Christians are able to argue in all directions around Halloween, and I suppose that Christmas has just as many pagan roots if we want to get down to arguing. It sounds like you guys will have a good time together and form great family memories, and to me, that's the most important thing!

    ReplyDelete

don't be shy! i love feedback!