Easter 2016

Easter 2016

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bananas

I buy nine pounds of bananas when I shop.
They usually get eaten, and we run out if I only
buy 6 pounds.

I am a banana freezer though.
Any left over bananas get stashed in the freezer until
I have the ambition to make some
banana bread.

Last time I made banana bread, it had been a while.
I had 17 bananas in there.
I had to make banana bread because we were tired of having
black bananas fall out on our feet from the freezer.

In two bowls I made a triple and then a double batch.
There is still a frozen loaf in my freezer.

A little random trick for bananas... if you want to keep your bananas from browning on a fruit platter or dessert:
Boil water and with tongs place the skinned banana in the boiling water for 25 seconds and when you peel the banana it will not brown for about 20 hours. Proven, old pampered chef secret.

3 comments:

  1. Katie,
    How fun that you blog! I have a loaf of banana bread in the freezer too . . . the remains of our own stash of a billion frozen bananas :)
    I have no idea why I am routed as a visitor from Stevens Point when we're located in Sartell . . . whatever!
    ~Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have quite the stash of bananas with 4 kids and 4 foster kids :o) I put a 1/2 gallon canning jar in the freezer and then I just add bananas as I get brown ones. I peel them first and then put a hash mark on the side of the jar, lol! That way when I'm ready to make bread I can just thaw the jar and dump it in :o) Another way is to take a gallon freezer bag and add them side by side as you get them. That way they end up like a package of hot dogs and you can break off what you need :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! I had to laugh at this one! I am a 'stasher' of bananas as well...I've even been known to stash a leftover half if it doesn't get eaten! We use them in smoothies as well...then you don't have to add ice!
    Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete

don't be shy! i love feedback!