Because he didn't burn the house down, made it to soccer and swim lessons, and took care of all 8 kids over the weekend!! Congratulations Luke! I must admit, I had my doubts. I was comfortable to leave my cell in the cabin though, so that says a lot too. I had the luxury of going to Camp Courage with 50 other adoptive moms. Spending time with people that "get it." Anyone that is not a special needs adoptive parent doesn't "get it." For what it is worth, that is good to be called the normal folk. Then again, who are we kidding- I know ya'll got your own set of issues!
Dealing with attachment issues, developmental delays, cause and effect deficiencies, behaviors associated with trauma, social services, and all the tricks'n'treats in between makes adoptive mothering much more complex and dRaInInG than most would care to understand. Seriously, it is down right no fun sometimes. To unite with other moms that share in similar walks to parenting was very rewarding and rejuvenating. I am moved to once again be active in post-adoption support.
Not only did I meet some very inspirational moms, but I was able to refocus my parenting goals and be encouraged for the life that I try to hold together each day. Granted, some days are easier than others, but I was well overdue for such an awesome retreat.
It was great to come home to everyone too! And Luke maybe should not have done so well, now I have no fears to plan weekend trips...who wants to make a girls getaway? haha- I am sure he thinks I am good for another couple years.
29 Weeks (Eden)
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
don't be shy! i love feedback!