Easter 2016

Easter 2016

Friday, July 1, 2011

Chicago




I think I am changing my mind! This week I made a quick decision after pondering for months about joining my sister in Chicago. She is joining my brother there already for a big wedding on his wife's side. The impulse was what a great idea to do that and save 8 hours to see my sister and love on adorable Ellie, who both I miss greatly.
But, their hotel was filled up. So I booked a mile down the road for 10$ cheaper and free breakfast! Top priority for mommy here, gotta get a breakfast.
Luke has a sister that is recently moved to Chicago as well, and as luck has it her bus ticket cannot be renewed and she is coming home for the weekend too. But at first we thought it would be better for her mom to come with me and give her a ride back or something or drive her car out to her, what she wanted. But I wanted to visit with my niece and spend a little time with them too, and now staying at a different hotel sounds tough- she was going to stay in with them too. Going Sunday would be better, and then I could stay in the same hotel as my siblings; however, Sunday is their touristy day and we would barely get 2 hours in the museum. Just not feeling it worthy of the budgeting for it at this point. Hopefully we can meet up there another weekend, and the arrangements would be more friendly to the solo traveling mom:)

It was going to be a girls trip, their suitcase is back. Luke says it's good for them to know that things don't always work out and that we will obviously still do something kinda special. After grandma goes into care I want to set up a little suite for us . when we go to the cities. Bruno could even come with, it is her own property. That will actually be kinda fun.

With our science museum pass, we have plenty to do in the cities. Plus, going to Chicago we would have free admission to their Science and Industry Museum, so that is cool. For the Iowan brother and Michiganigan sister, Chicago is a four hour drive. I would hope to make it for a weekend vacation sometime. It is 7 or 8 hours for us, but if done right it isn't the most miserable thing with kids, and I have never been to Chicago.

Now I just need to cancel the room reservations!
I am so worried about planning things, I even have the rail schedules- I will just tuck them away. Sad to not see my niece and sister though.

2 comments:

  1. missed seeing you too! :( i just checked roundtrip dtw to msp and it's down to $295 with taxes and fees with ~1hr layovers in chicago each way...probably would be similar for you msp to dtw? you did not miss out on the ridiculous crowds, heat, humidity though! never to chicago to do touristy things on a holiday weekend again!!! who sampled the apples? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. why my little naomi was helping herself. i didn't think luke was serious, but evidently it was my job then to take the huge box of organics from california away from her. there was prep work involved with that, and i refused to throw her apples out though:) it wasn't that bad, she didn't eat that much! hehe. i can handle august and oct, plus i see osky and boys in there too.

    ReplyDelete

don't be shy! i love feedback!