Easter 2016

Easter 2016

Friday, April 22, 2011

Adoption Option- FAQ/FAS/FYI/PBRme ASAP (JK the last one)

So...on the topic of adoption. Our story is that we adopted a sibling group of 3. We have had them for going on 7 years this August. Somedays it seems like yesterday, somedays like centuries:) The kids were part of a larger sibling group and that whole situation is a heartbreaker that we have come to accept as God's plan. The kids have the same dad as Luke...I know it seems weird! We never had a relationship with them and at the first time meeting them it was clear there were some major challenges in raising them.

We learned that they needed an adoptive home and since they were in another state we had to do the whole ICPC bit and do a formal homestudy. We learned that the system is interesting(?) and as any governmental program hardly serves it's intention. In the future we would use a private agency to avoid some bureaucratic bologna. We learned of the need in February, and got the kids the following August. We had to do a handrail and put new windows in for licensing.

Since then we have experienced great lessons of faith. We love our kids and have learned how we can raise them to be successful. Success looks different for different people. We have significant challenges, but God equips us!

I am an advocate of adoption, I urge people to use their homes and hearts to help others. The orphans are in our backyards. There are ovder 400 kids in MN that need homes, not to mention the ones across the county and across the ocean. Things to consider...
  • disabilities, do your research. With all due respect, we would never do FAS/FASAD or sexually abused children (which the later disqualifies many kids right there.) While my kids are equal to those with greater disadvantages, we do not want to jeopardize their safety. Victims Perp.
  • medical, do your research. All special needs kids (sib groups of 3 or more, kids over age 8, or any diagnosis) receive secondary MA coverage. If our kids didn't have that they would not have gotten therapy for over 6 years. Many families I know that have adopted internationally have experienced great financial burdens for their child's medical needs they hadn't anticipated. Our copays would have exceeded $1000 on a given month and that is written off by the medical community because they qualify for that insurance.
  • financial obligations, what's in your wallet? If you have been considering adoption, the US encourages families to adopt and if you adopt through special needs or waiting children there are NO EXPENSES. Granted the US doesn't have any money, but the tax credit up to 13some thousand dollars is now refundable- currently through next year. There can be subsidies for families that adopt special needs. Why?
  • BECAUSE IF IT WERE EASY EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!!
So, if you are not sure what FAS/FASD is, see what my friends are dealing with: Coffee Catharsis, Urban Servant, and Never a Dull Moment have plenty of insight. I am a firm believer that God chose you to parent your kids, and maybe you don't even have them yet. Once a parent, always a parent- why should we let kids age out of the "system?"

Don't delay!! Contact Downey Side, PATH, Lutheran Social Services, J and J Homes, or your local county to get started today! There are tons of great kids out there to chose from and your son(s) and daughter(s) are waiting for you!! Feel free to comment or message any questions or afterthoughts you may have. God bless the children. God open your heart, may he bless your home and to what this can start!

9 comments:

  1. This is a perfect post for our blog hop for National Foster Care Month in May. My grown stepson is ADHD Aspergers with epileptic tendencies. We are shying away from RAD and other major issues. Plus DH is nearly 52 and I'm 46 and our 3-year-old is a Strong-willed, defiant ADHD. Our 18-month-old is delayed. And I want to still add a little girl to the mix. Am I crazy???

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post. I am a huge fan of both fostering and adoption myself. My parents were foster parents for several years...with over 50 children benefiting...one who became a permanent part of our family and another who is semi-permanent by her choice.

    My sister is also on her own journey to adopting in MN...they are almost there. So close they can feel it. I am so excited...thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also....if you're on the same page as I am...your title is soooooo funny! Old commercial with an echo...hehehhehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you linked up on the blog hop! You have an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you on the blog hop!
    Having one that is undiagnosed, but fits every single criteria FASD daughter, wow, there are days I wonder what we are doing. Yet I love her more than life itself. My heart breaks continually for the challenges she will have as she continues to grow, but I have faith that God has a plan for her and us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you through the bloghop too. :) Keep loving those kids!

    Alisa
    http://attemptingagape.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always great to read about people who do great things. I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the joy of finding such a resource for this newbie foster momma ...

    Delighted to meet you this evening. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a crazy blessed place to be refreshed.

    Splashin'
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing such vital information. I think all potential parents of adopted children should be made aware of the many diagnosis which are possible, and, in some cases, probable! (I have a son who was born addicted to cocaine and heroine, and 2 children who were severely abused and have PTSD.)

    ReplyDelete

don't be shy! i love feedback!