Easter 2016

Easter 2016

Friday, July 16, 2010

Iowa Trip Allowed Return


I had the priviledge to make a day trip to Iowa a couple weekends ago. Baby Emmett was just one week old and I got to meet him and welcome him to our family. On behalf of my family, I brought delegate Libby and Naomi.
The other day, in conversation, Libby referred to Reany as her "sidekick," her and David were talking, I had just gotten back into the car. Libby says, "yeah, and my sidekick really loves that!" And then I asked who her sidekick was (like how did she put this together?) She said Reany, and then went on to tell me a "game" they play where they are both in college and one of them owns a store and yada yada yada. My kids don't play house, is that the pride of adolescent boys? Eva and I used to always play "house" we called it. Make believe, imagination, creativity. The freedom of chidrens minds is what we daydream about...isn't it?! Anyhow, no Reany on this trip. The emotions, typically mine, of ensuring hers, consititue the saddening truth that it compromises the intentions of such event. I try to be a good judge, but perhaps tend to err in the side of fear, as we never really know what to expect with behaviors and capabilities. That is simply my guilt disclaimer because I will never be used to the idea of excluding my children. Such is life and I accept that.

Anyhow, when we went to Iowa we had a great time visiting with darling Emmett's family. We played, and Libby got all tuckered out! As you can see she was quite exhausted. She was crabby just into our 5 hour drive and was complaining about her pants. (Which is very unlike her to be finicky and whine about her clothes, comfort, and preferences[..NOT..]

Anyhow, I say, "sure, take your pants off if you want, I don't care." She thought that was so cool that next thing I know she's darn near buck naked and out cold. The Good Lord knows what he is doing though, as he was preparing her for the storms ahead.

The rain was so bad that I barely saw the exit to get off the freeway. Then I questioned that and was thinking of reversing back under the bridge. It was the scarriest thing in my whole life and thank God that we were safe. And there my babies slept. The only thing on the radio was that twilight zone mans voice saying to take shelter immediately. I pulled over to a dealership type building- it was a desolate exit with no stores. Other cars were huddled along the side too, as I waited to hear back from Luke what county I was in, luckily I gave him the info from the gps. Dakota county, heart of the storm. Safe in the arms of Jesus.

When we got home, hours later as after the storm broke we still could only drive 40mph home. But look at that dazed smile, in her undies, safe and happy. What a great roadtrip!!










1 comment:

  1. so all i see is anyhows! eva would say there is no such word. i love having online communication with myself. it's awesome. keeps me on my toes. or off yours? haha

    ReplyDelete

don't be shy! i love feedback!