This is my story of changed circumstances, health, and hope.
Nobody ever really told me. I had worked with a dermatologist for over ten years off and on, dealing with my psoriasis. I may have had minimal spots on my scalp as an adolescent; however, during my first pregnancy in 2003 I spotted all over with the guttate psoriasis. I used light therapy, steroid creams, and tanning to try minimizing it. It continued throughout the year of nursing and was worse in our Minnesota winters. I would get spots here and there over the next few years but nothing drastic. With each of my pregnancies to follow with babies born in 2007, 2009, 2012, and 2014 the spots would increase if not during, while nursing. I was plagued with bright red spots, and some plaque psoriasis of white patches too.
During my 2012 pregnancy I experienced some stiff fingers in the mornings and a sore hip at times. When discussed with my doctor she casually said it was likely some psoriatic arthritis. Luckily that didn’t continue. What did though was my psoriasis. Post-partum I was so covered in psoriasis that I spent most of the summer hidden away and covered. I wore long skirts all summer long. It got so bad at about six months that I was contemplating giving up nursing Lillie so I could go on the biological injections. I had used biological injections when I was nursing Noah for a short period of time. There are not enough studies for it to be cleared, yet is a use as necessary drug except from the manufacturer who cannot collect enough data to encourage pregnant or nursing mothers to use.
A friend had talked about a nutritionist for years, how he could help me. I didn’t want to give up gluten or whatever nutrition recommendations he would have! I finally decided to meet with him before giving up nursing. He gave me a big written survey of random questions about my life, body, and eating habits. It indicated that I had a sugar processing problem. There were supplements and products to help this, or I could eliminate sugar from my diet. I went the free route and cut sugar. At this point my legs were covered in sores that were painful and weeping, it hurt to even walk! 30 days sugar free and my skin cleared! It was so incredible and I felt great too. I continued to do the sugar free diet, basically implementing the atkins plan- keeping carbs less than 12 grams and from vegetables, might as well lose weight too! When after a year of atkins and only maintaining weight I became frustrated. My doctor insulted me saying that I had bore children and that is what people look like, that I should throw away my skinny clothes. She said people can be in ketosis, the metabolic state sugar free creates, and not lose weight. Never saw her again! I also gave up the sugar free lifestyle and continued to have clear skin for another year! I didn’t feel as good though and would go sugar free here and there for several days at a time to lose a few pounds or maintain weight. Basically when I am sugar free I maintain weight, and with sugar I have to be very careful to not just gain. I wholeheartedly believe I have a sugar processing problem, I can eat a PAN of brownies, a family size bag of chips, and still want more. Sugar does not satisfy me and leaves me wanting more. I am way better without it.
It was easy to go sugar free when my skin broke out again with my 2014 baby; however, this time the 30 days was not helping! My body was attacking itself for other reasons:( I tried sugar free several times and it didn’t matter. An interesting thing happened as well, something bigger than stubbing my toe, but that is how this story started.
The day of discharge with Johanna, I noticed my left big toe was swollen. I bad been laid up for 3 days, that was my 5th successful and scheduled cesarean; I was curious why my toe was swollen and even considered they had ran it over or injured it while numb! There seemed to be no medical concern for my big toe and I went home. I had a big toe at my next few appointments, and again no concern. Then it dawned on me! I remembered getting my pedicure the day before delivery and saying, “careful, my toe hurts, I stubbed it.” So yes, there was a reason it hurt and was swollen! Major surgey was my brain’s priority! My consulting RN mother and PT sister thought I should see the doctor since it was still swollen a month later. I agreed. The local clinic x ray didn’t show the little fracture the podiatrist found the following week. I was sent out with a broken toe that will heal on it’s own.
Another month goes by and my limp has started to wear my whole body down and I was aching all over. I went back to the follow up podiatry appointment, they issued me a boot. I was doing a long term sub job for the jr. high ebd department hobbling around, a true bootlegger! Within the first week of wearing the boot I realized it was bad, my whole foot and ankle swelled and my body felt like I had been in a car accident. I then decided the podiatrist was not helpful and got the referral to start physical therapy. It hurt to breathe, it hurt to move, it hurt everywhere. They decided my swollen foot was not from the stubbed toe but a nervous system reaction to babying my foot to begin with and began treating me with e-stim, ultrasound, and manual therapy. They decided my body aches were reaction to limping for over 2 months. I started going twice a week and it didn’t reduce the swelling. Under my toes on my left foot had pitted edema and I could push a good ¾ inch into my foot and it would stay like molding clay for a while. Pretty disturbing!!
Long story short, the PT wanted me to see podiatry again to be sure injury had healed. I had gotten bloodwork done and my ESR levels (measuring inflammation) were nearly double the normal rate. I recall spending 3 hours one day between a full body massage and PT only to be crying in pain at the end of my day. Hardest part of my life, ever. My arms ached so bad I feared I would drop my precious baby. I would wake at night and just cry because it would hurt too bad to move. I was on 600-800 mg of ibuprofen around the clock. My doctor referred me to a rheumatologist, they all have long wait periods though. A prescription of prednisone gave me a few days of luxury: mobility! Then I learned with psoriasis it is not good to use because it will flare your skin afterwards.that. My rheumatoid and blood work eliminated other options, and my nails had some signs too. The MRI showed three torn plantar plates, with the podiatrist never having more than one torn on a patient being injury induced, we knew it was from the psoriatic arthritis affects muscles, tendons, ligaments, and joints. Everything made sense. I knew that I needed to get on medication that would stop further damage. The baby was weaned.
I tried a supplement of Thrive and was amazed that my limp was replaced with a bounce in my step, I felt really good, and instead of being in tears ready for bed about 7pm, I was able to stay up like a grown up for those few days of my sample. I didn’t want to spend the money on it though and thought I should use up my garcinia cambogia I purchased while nursing the last baby and then learned it wasn’t recommended. I have tried every product in the book to help with weight issues. Mid April 2015 will be the first time exceeding over 5 months in 8 years that I have not been nursing or pregnant. Yes I wear shoes:) The garcinia cambogia doesn't work though for me!
I started the injections of Humira, the first 24 hours my legs were better, not feeling like I just ran a marathon every time I would get up. I had become a decrepit old lady, cane and all! So the Humira is working, which is awesome and I have had minimal side effects. My skin is clearing and my foot is no longer as swollen. There are some lingering aches though, and that is where the Thrive is making up for it. Plus, the Thrive really boosts my mood and I feel great. Granted, I felt like a literal train wreck and had a swollen foot for over four months. Give glory to God though, he is working in me and taught me a thing or two!
During my weakest moments my trust in the Lord was stronger than any physical setback. I learned that I do not have to do everything that I want to, that God is in control, and through him all things are good. My husband learned to fill in some gaps and has been an inspiration though this life changing event. We take things for granted like being able to go up and down stairs and get in and out of vehicles. I pray for fellow sufferers of this autoimmune disorder, many people have not found medications that help. I take refuge in my savior Jesus and am grateful for the provisions he has allowed in medicine and science to help people. And for the work put into Thrive that not only helps my pain and inflammatory, but also my emotional and mental balance, and for the first time in my 20+ years of being little miss piggy a real appetite suppressant; it is all natural though and researched for optimal function to the amazing body God designed. God didn’t design red40 or other preservatives and chemicals we so often have poisoned ourselves with. I am reclaiming my body and my health, I am going to share what I can with my family and friends to encourage them to live the lives with purpose and intention to be good parents, spouses, and people. I am thankful. God bless!
ps
The only thing some people find annoying until they use and know how awesome Thrive is, it isn’t something you buy in a store, in a way it is a good thing though as you can see what other people say about it. it is a cloud based company and their product is high quality, I back it 100%! I am not interested in commission, and will return any commission ever earned. at first i was turned off by promoters earning cars and big bucks, but then realized this is just how the company is on the market; target and any other successful company or quality product has CEOs driving lexuses too- but this way if people want anyone can get product for free or earn money if they want to! https//momof9.le-vel.com/Login
No comments:
Post a Comment
don't be shy! i love feedback!